Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Have You Heard?



There’s a rumor going around. Have you heard? 

Heads are bowing together, lips are moving, nods and knowing looking are being exchanged as this bit of news is shared – 

“Shepherds College only hires THE BEST people…”

Normally, I run screaming from rumors, but I have to stand firm and tell you, this one is absolutely true!

The college can’t take too much credit though. In all honesty, God only brings us THE BEST people so our pickins’ are… well, pretty amazing to begin with. It’s obvious He has big plans for the future of Shepherds College when the quality of the people populating the offices, classrooms, dorms and hallways is observed.

Are you ready to meet the latest of the greatest faculty members God has called to join our team? 

Here’s Cassie Comerford, Lead Instructor of Culinary Arts. She did such a complete and charming job of answering my questions, I’m going to let her tell her own story in today’s blog:

Shepherds College: “Did you always want to be a chef? Can you pinpoint when and why this desire started?”

Chef Cassie: “Actually, no. Being a chef never was in the picture. I come from a large, Polish family, and cooking – good cooking – is just what you did for your family. I had great teachers – my mom, my grandmothers and all the Polish ladies at my church. Everything was homemade. I didn’t know Polish sausage could be purchased at a store. I only knew how to make it at home. 

My short story? I received my Bachelor of Science degree in Interior Architecture from the University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point. While working in Chicago, I was pursuing my Master’s degree in Architecture and kept walking past this culinary school. I saw some interesting classes and signed up for a 6-week class. I thoroughly enjoyed it, was smitten and the rest is history.

Since earning my Culinary Arts degree from Kendall Collage, I’ve had the pleasure of working in fine dining rooms, private clubs, small boutique bakeries, large production bakeries, vegetarian and vegan restaurants, as well as private consulting on a few start-up cafes creating recipes, developing menus and running a Raw Food Kitchen in Puerto Rico.”

Shepherds College: “You’ve had such diverse experiences in the field! What would you say are your ‘specialties?’”

Chef Cassie: “Beside Polish cuisine? Vegetarian and vegan, raw foods, and gluten-free baking.”

Shepherds College: “What is the most creative meal you’ve ever cooked for anyone?”

Chef Cassie: It was a Raw Vegan Lasagna, prepared for, and shot on location in Milwaukee for Good Food America, featuring Nathan Lyon, an Emmy nominated chef on the Veria Living network.  It consisted of zucchini and yellow squash ‘noodles,’ with walnut ‘meat’ filling, macadamia nut ‘ricotta cheese,’ red bell and sun-dried tomato marinara sauce and parsley-basil pesto, topped with micro greens and pine nuts. It was so much fun and, I hope I’m not giving away a TV secret, but it took about over four hours to shoot that four minute episode.

Shepherds College: “Wow! You sound very health conscious. What are your thoughts on the influence food has on health?”

Chef Cassie: “That is a biggie. It is so important.

I worked for a couple of years in Puerto Rico at a Raw Food Health Institute. I saw people walking (or barely walking due to inflammation, arthritis, etc…) into the program. After only a few short weeks of letting go of the processed foods and sugary sodas common in the Standard American Diet (SAD), I saw these people feeling so much better! By eating whole, fresh, clean foods, toxins were released from their bodies, and they were now walking upright with a spring in their steps.” 

Shepherds College: “Do you already have plans for bringing something new to the Culinary Arts Program?”

Chef Cassie: “My plans are to continue the great job that has already been done, especially continual training of the students in proper and safe knife skill techniques. I’d like to add additional knowledge in the areas of nutrition, healthy cuisine, vegetarian and vegan, how to do delicious and healthy food substitutions, along with some background in ‘Raw Vegan’ cuisine and, of course, gluten-free baking.”

Shepherds College: “I have to ask – with your extensive cooking and travel experiences, what is the craziest thing you have ever eaten?”

Chef Cassie: “A double-dip cone of Salted Cod and Avocado Ice Cream in Puerto Rico.”
 
Shepherds College: “…Oh…um… yum? 

Actually, with your adventurous spirit, love of good food and the desire to improve the lives of people through high quality, nutritious meals, we know the Culinary Arts students are going to LOVE you… just nix the dried fish ice cream.

Chef Cassie: “My hope is that the students will see my passion for teaching the culinary arts, my heart’s desire to help them learn, and that cooking and baking can be so much fun and rewarding.”

Shepherds College: “Last question, and then I’ll let you get on with your lesson plans – how does your faith influence your work?”

Chef Cassie: “I pray that I am the hands and the feet of the Lord, and that my teaching blesses each and every student.”
 


Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.edu.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the intro to our students new teacher. Welcome Chef Comerford!

    ReplyDelete