We have a new guy in the office!
Well, not new new. He’s more like an old employee in a new position. Only he’s not really old old. He’s a young guy who’s been around Shepherds College for a while, then he left, and now he’s back – in a new position! Did you get all that?
I hope so because I want you to join me in welcoming back Brian Canright.
Brian started with Shepherds College back in 2009 as the Residential Life Manager. He loved his job, but it was a position that required unfortunate hours for a young father. With his oldest child starting kindergarten, Brian realized that, working 2nd shift, he wouldn’t see his son until the weekends. He and his wife decided to move to Texas to be near family and to take a 1st shift position at another organization. While Brian and his family really enjoyed their time in Texas, Brian missed the sense of purpose and fulfillment he experienced while working at Shepherds College. When a new, 1st shift position opened up here – one with a description that matched his strengths – he and his wife decided to pursue the opportunity.
Brian’s new title is a long one – Lead Recruiter and Transition Coordinator – and carries a long list of responsibilities to match. As the Lead Recruiter, Brian will be:
- Attending conferences
- Visiting schools
- Networking with professionals
- Coordinating aspects of Preview Days
- Hosting visitors
- And guiding students and their families through the application process.
As the Transition Coordinator, Brian will serve as a resource to graduates and their families as they transition to life after Shepherds College. His responsibilities will include:
- Developing relationships with agencies, programs and organizations that can provide appropriate supports for our graduating students
- Providing information to parents and graduates regarding supports available in their communities
- Maintaining records and curating stories about Shepherds College alumni with respect to Appropriate Independence™, employment, support services and community life
- Informing our curriculum development process as he learns from the graduates’ experiences following graduation
- Facilitating referrals for our graduates to other agencies
- Maintaining ongoing contact with graduates and their families
- And establishing an Alumni Association so that our graduates can carry on an ongoing sense of identity and pride in their accomplishments as Shepherds College graduates.
Whew! That’s quite an intimidating list!
But we know Brian from past experience, and we know he's up to the challenge. He’s strategic, well-spoken and engaging. He’s compassionate, outgoing and energetic. He’s also very passionate about the mission of Shepherds College - to educate and train students with intellectual disabilities by equipping them to reach Appropriate Independence and inspiring a lasting awareness of God's plan for their lives.
Brian always has been, and will continue to be, an asset to our program. Whether you’re reading this blog as a parent, student, Shepherds College alumnus or professional in the disability field, Brian can be an asset to you as well.
Please call him at 262-878-6365 with any questions about our program, or to get assistance in the transitioning process.
Welcome back Brian!
Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.edu.