Thursday, December 13, 2012

Mixed Feelings



I’m experiencing a bit of mixed emotion today. 

The students are so excited to go home for the holidays! Many of them have been away from home for about five months. They’re anxious to see their moms, dads, brothers, sisters, friends and pets. They long to eat some home-cooking and sleep in their own beds. Christmas presents are waiting for them under a tree. It’s difficult for them to be here taking final exams when so much enjoyment is ahead of them - just hours or days away.  The energy level in the school hallways is intense! Anticipation, impatience, nervousness, excitement… it’s all there.



I can’t help but be excited for them! I’m waiting for my own college student to arrive home this weekend, and I know how eager he is to finish his last exam, pack and jump in the car to see his family. 

But I also feel a smidgeon of melancholy.

The hallways are too quiet without the chatter, the happy shouts and, sometimes, the grumbling of the students.

I’ll miss Crystal’s big grins.


I’ll miss Daniela’s hugs.


I’ll miss Josh teasing me about breaking my guitar.


I’ll miss Katy running away when she sees my camera.


I’ll miss David’s music.


I’ll miss the other 43 students, each for different reasons.




And then when the grading is done, the teachers will leave on break. What will I do without their fun emails filled with stories about the students, their notes of encouragement, and – I’m sure you’ve noticed by now – the best bunch of smiles ever seen on a group of teachers?

My little corner of the campus will feel slightly lonely for the next month. Blogs and posts will be considerably more sporadic … unless you want to read about my attempts to organize five years’ worth of files... hmmmm???

I didn’t think so.

Enjoy your holidays! I pray you each have a blessed Christmas and a New Year filled with hope, joy and peace.




Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment