Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Teacher Tuesday: Teaching With TAC



In grade school, high school and college, one teacher remained my favorite throughout the years – Mrs. Grisé from 4th grade.

There was something special about Mrs. Grisé that I still smile about to this day, and that’s saying a lot since memories of my school years are not happy ones. 

Sure, she was pretty and warm-hearted and fun, but the reason she still holds the title of THE FAVE goes so much deeper than that.

Did you ever have a teacher who looked at you and really saw you – who you were, who you wanted to be, what you liked, what you didn’t like, recognized both your strengths and your weaknesses – and cared enough to teach you while considering all that stuff? That was Mrs. Grisé.

I couldn’t put into words as to why Mrs. Grise was the BEST TEACHER IN THE WORLD until I heard Mr. Terrill, Executive Director of Shepherds College, talk about a teaching philosophy used in our program:

Teach to the norm
Accommodate those who need extra support
Challenge the advanced

This is exactly what Mrs. Grisé did for me and, I’m sure, every student who ever occupied a desk in her classroom. She taught in such a way that we could all understand the content, if not all the concepts. She knew where each of us would need support and provided it in such a way that we didn’t feel embarrassed or singled out, and she was always prepared with ways to take her assignments to the next level – challenge questions, extra activities, craft ideas to support the lesson, story ideas, advanced reading material…

Now, imagine an entire school staffed with teachers like Mrs. Grisé

I can imagine classes that are interesting, relevant and creative.


I can see assistants always on hand to help students who are struggling or who just need a little extra support.


I can see teachers who come to class with resourceful ideas to challenge the students who are ahead on subjects so learning doesn’t stop, but remains ongoing and fresh.


I see struggling students working with students who “get it” – students who are benefitting from working with a peer, and students who are learning to serve and lead others.


I hope, in your mind’s eye, that you saw what I see every day – a “typical” classroom at Shepherds College.
 


Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment