Friday, May 10, 2013

Wise Words from Mom



Where would we be without our moms’ great advice?

We’d be in car accidents wearing ratty underwear.

Our faces would be frozen in permanent scowls.

We’d spend full price for our groceries.

All our doors would be open.

We would dive off a cliff every time someone yells, “JUMP!!”

And, sadly, our eyes would be put out.

I’m very pleased that I listened to my mom’s advice because, I’m relieved to say, I currently find myself in none of the situations listed above.

Even though I didn’t want to admit it at the time the advice was given, my mom’s words were wise. They proved very helpful to me as I grew into adulthood and started a family of my own:

“Always set the table before you start making dinner. Your family will be more patient believing that their meal is almost ready.”

“Read a lot so you always have something to talk about besides work.”

And, most beneficial when the babies kept coming, the boys grew into teenagers, friends popped in, the football team was over for dinner... “If you add more liquid to the soup, you can feed more people.”  

This Mother’s Day, our teachers, students and alumni wanted to share their mom’s best advice on becoming an independent adult:

“Probably one of the most practical pieces of advice my mom ever gave to me was that I needed to be assertive when I needed something. I hate confrontation and disappointing people and, growing up, I would rather not say anything than have a conflict with someone. My mom would always come back with how I needed to learn to be assertive when I needed or wanted something! This skill has helped me in so many ways, and it has helped me to accomplish the things I want to accomplish. If I didn’t ever speak up for myself, I’d never get anywhere in life! A huge part of being independent is learning how to self-advocate.  My mom also modeled what it meant to be a Godly woman, and that is probably the richest blessing she could pass on.”  ~ Mrs. Cyr

“My mom is having a birthday on May 25th. She helped me be independent. She told me to do my chores and get ready all the time.”  ~ Sean, 3rd year student

“My mom taught me how to cook, do my laundry, and clean. From a young age, each member of the family had responsibilities which taught us the value of hard work and the importance of team work. My mom prepared me for living independently.”  ~ Miss Houk

“My mom had me take every accounting class available in high school. She said it was because too many people don’t even know how to balance a checkbook, much less wisely budget their money. That turned out to be a great help!”  ~ Miss Van Oyen

“I don’t remember any advice, but my mom’s constant love and support gave me confidence and helped me see my value.”  ~ Mrs. Konopasek

“I should help others and not be too bossy.”  ~ Kathryn, 1st year student

“My mom encouraged me to:
1.       Save up for quality, classic pieces (clothing, accessories or furniture). Don’t waste money on fads; for those type of things spend much less because they will only last about a year and then go out of style.
2.       By example, I learned from my mom to take care of what I own. Naturally, after saving up for quality pieces, it would only make sense to then take good care of it.
3.       Why bother complaining about your chore? You’re just going to have to do it anyway, and complaining wastes all the time you could be doing it. For the time wasted complaining, you could have had it done.”  ~ Mrs. Harvey

You can do anything for one year. This advice helped get me through college out of state and across the country.”  ~ Mrs. Luchterhand

"She taught me to work diligently at any job. She was always there to fix my banking crises, plant problems, and to drop off my lunch when I forgot it at home. She is also my biggest supporter in maintaining a healthy lifestyle." ~ Mrs. Kolkman


“My mom said, ‘Follow your own star and don’t be afraid to be happy.’ Her words are dear to me.”  ~ Gloria, Shepherds College Alumna

“When my mom would say goodbye in the morning or drop us off at school, I often remember her reminding us of the following: Be a leader, not a follower. Mom certainly wasn’t encouraging us to be rebellious or to disregard our authorities. Instead, she was encouraging us to be independent thinkers and strong individuals. She didn’t want us simply doing what everyone else was doing just because everyone else was doing it. She wanted us to do, and to lead others to do, what was right and best. Not only did she encourage us to be strong and independent, both my mom and dad modeled that advice for us in the way they lived their lives and the decisions they made for our family. There are times in life when it is necessary and right to ‘swim upstream against the current’ rather than just ‘going with the flow.’  I’m immeasurably grateful for my mom’s encouragement to step out and lead rather than simply being a part of the crowd.”  ~ Mr. Gaschke



“The most meaningful thing my mother ever told me is to ‘run your own race.’ She does a fantastic job of reminding me that God has specific plans for my life that, most likely, do not resemble the plans of anyone around me, and I need to focus on the path God has for my life. She’s a great Proverbs 3:5-6 cheerleader!”  ~ Miss Pollard



Happy Mother’s Day!

Who can find a virtuous woman? She is far more precious than jewels...
Strength and honor are her clothing, and she can laugh at the time to come.
She opens her mouth with wisdom, and loving instruction is on her tongue.
She watches over the activities of her household and is never idle.
Her sons rise up and call her blessed.
He husband also praises her:
Many women are capable, but you surpass them all!
Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord will be praised.
~Proverbs 31:10, 25-30


Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment