Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Memories...


Shepherds College is a very different place in the summer months. The hallways are dark, the classrooms are silent, and the heady aromas of warm, yeasty breads, melting chocolate, and braising meats from the Culinary Arts Kitchen have disappeared from the air.  The dorm walls are stripped of posters, the instructors leave on well-deserved vacations, and the Horticulture classroom looks strangely colorless without all the fresh blooms the students arrange into centerpieces.

Within the tangible emptiness, something living lingers – drifting, hovering, and teasing from every classroom and hallway - the memories of the students who have made their way into the lives and hearts of the faculty and staff of Shepherds College.

Last week, we said goodbye to the Class of 2014. We said goodbye to Miranda’s power-packed greetings, Daniela’s hugs, and Dallas’s unexpected sense of humor. We will miss Joe’s intensity and Bethany’s earnest desire to serve others. The graduates have left behind the ghosts of their unique personalities to remind us that every life impacts another. Shepherds College may have made a mark on their lives, but each of the graduates made an impression on our lives as well. 

Before school ended, I asked the first and second year students to tell me about their favorite memories involving the graduating Class of 2014, the memories that will still be hanging on long after the graduates have found apartments, meaningful jobs and have settled into their independent lives. This is what they shared:

Christi



“I would have Christi over for lunch or dinner, play Bowling with her on Wii, and make her laugh. I loved hearing her boisterous laugh.” ~ Sarah


“One of my favorite memories with Christi is having pizza in her apartment and watching Mrs. Doubtfire.” ~ Suzanne

“My favorite memories are when we went with them on the Amazing Race Retreat and field trips.” ~ Ellie







Donovan
“We laughed, had fun and we had good times playing Halo 2 on the PS2.” ~ Ryan

 
 “My favorite memory of the third-year students is going to the park with them and playing football and water tubing.” ~ Anthony



“My favorite memory is of all the activities we had the opportunity to do with the upper classmen such as going to exciting events with them. Also having ROTC with them in the gym.” ~ Wade

Miranda


  



“When Miranda and I got to watch a movie, she picked out ‘Are We There Yet?’ Miranda and I were laughing while watching the movie together.” ~ Crystal


“I had fun bowling with them.” ~ Andrew


“Being in Mr. Gaschke’s class with them.” ~ Nick









Brian



“When Brian came down every Wednesday to help us make breakfast in the Commons. Halo tournaments on Wednesdays when other people went to SNAP Fitness. When Dallas spun the giant wheel at Action Territory and won 1,000 tickets.” ~ Jonathan


“When they would all come to the café.” ~ Matt



“My favorite memory of this graduating class is Brian because I love him when he does his funny talk and makes me laugh all the time that I know of in my life. Every time I meet Brian, he makes me laugh all the time.” ~ David






Daniela

“Flying on the same plane as Daniela.” ~ Joey


“I went to Daniela’s apartment and had dinner together. It was fun. We watched TV after dinner, and we had a blast. We also chased a bug around the apartment. I thought it was funny.” ~ Cherokee

“Just getting to know them all and being able to sing with them.” ~ Ashley







Katy
“My favorite memory was when Katy made me laugh so hard, I almost died! HAHA!!” ~ Willetta


“My favorite memory is making Katy laugh by telling her jokes.” ~ Kirsten


“I will miss singing musicals with Katy.” ~ Krista











 
Sean


“My favorite memory of a third-year of 2014 is getting to know Sean and getting to know what each year at Shepherds College holds.” ~ Olya



 "They were all fun to hang out with.” ~ Geovanni


“I liked having Sean, Christian, Daniela and Katy in the Academic Advisor meetings with Mrs. Miles.” ~ Joshua






 
Christian




 “We had fun times hanging out together. It was nice getting to know them a little more.” ~ Julian

“The third-year students worked very hard, and they were fun to have in class.” ~ Grant









Nicole
 “Some of my favorite memories of this year’s graduates are of the times we all got together to have a girls’ fun movie or board game night. Every one of them was fun to hang out with. Their personalities were positive as well as funny at times, and other times they were sad and serious.” ~ Kathryn



“My favorite memory of the students in the 2014 graduating class is being able to get to know them. Being able to do things with them like grocery shopping and just having fun together.” ~ Nikki



  

Joe

“Seeing Joe and talking to him and all the graduating students in AiA Café.” ~ Nathan





“When all the guys sung around the campfire knowing that we would probably never be like that with the third-year students ever again.” ~ Tommy










Dallas
“Seeing the Casting Crowns concert with some of the students and getting three souvenirs.” ~ Philip

“My favorite memory of the graduating class is them helping us learn about the majors that we are in.” ~ Torrey


“My favorite memories are of going to paintball and basketball, plus going to the beach at Michigan. Going to Chick-fil-A and hockey games with them are all of my other favorite times as well as the movies.” ~ Micah








Bethany

“As a first-year student at Shepherds College, I’ve gotten to know most of the third-year students. Some of us got to know one another, and we hung out during school activities. Some of us didn’t get along at first, and at times we didn’t see eye to eye. At the end of the school year, I can see how my friendships with the third-year students have grown. I will remember who I have met and how we are all the same. We each have a disability, but it’s different. We all have different ways of learning. I know that God will find each one their purpose. They will grow through the years to come.” ~ Isaac










Class of 2014,
You will always be remembered.
Love,

Your friends at Shepherds College


 


Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment