Monday, January 28, 2013

A First-Time Traveler


I love it when parents send me blogs! I know even before I open up my email that the story is going to be positive and inspirational and will warm my frozen Wisconsin heart.


Jenny contacted me last week with a story about her son Ryan, a first-year college student, who traveled home and back to school during Christmas break all on his own. As you read her story, you can feel her joy and pride at the growth she’s witnessing as Ryan continues his education at Shepherds College.


Thank you to Jenny Wiehe for writing today’s blog:


I talked to Ryan on the Thursday evening before Christmas break. He said he and the other students were packing up on Friday to be ready to leave early Saturday morning. He told me he was a little scared and excited at the same time - excited to be coming home for four weeks of Christmas Break.



Ryan was up at 5:00am on Saturday, got a bite to eat, made himself a lunch, loaded his things in Ms. Pechous’ car and then left for the Greyhound Bus Station in Milwaukee. Talking with Ms. Pechous after he left, she told me that Ryan went down to the buses, found his correct bus and talked to the Bus Driver for a bit. They all decided that Ryan should put his bags under the bus to keep them safe and to sit up front. Ryan showed the bus driver his ticket and ID, then told Ms. Pechous goodbye and boarded the bus. Ryan was very independent, and we are so proud of him.



Excited to be coming home, Ryan called me three different times to make sure I would be there to pick him up. I told him I would be there.



He asked if we could go to Caribou Coffee on the way home, and I said, “Yes, we can.”



He told me he took a nap and ate his lunch, and I said, “Awesome! See you soon!”



I waited at the McDonalds in Eau Claire, WI.  I kept seeing buses come and go.



Finally the moment arrived! I looked up, and there he was getting off the bus, getting his bags and walking toward the building. I came out, saw a big smile on Ryan’s face and said, “Hi!” I gave him a warm hug - so proud!!



We put his bags in the car and left for home. He told me he had a nice ride, but a little bumpy at times. We talked about what was going on in school and what he wanted to do while he was home for the break.



We pulled into Caribou and picked up coffee for all of us. We stopped at the hardware store we own in Barron, WI to drop off the coffee for his Dad and sister, said hi to them and went home. Ryan took his bags inside and put them into his room after Sam, our puppy, greeted us at the door, jumping all around, excited to see Ryan.



We had a nice holiday.  Ryan kept up with his basic chores, hung out with some friends, did some sledding in our backyard.



He played with his young nephews who stayed with us for four days. We had fun.



Ryan went to to the Twin Cities with Kyle, his friend, and family to celebrate Kyle's birthday at a nice restaurant.



We had family movie night and game night. It got pretty cold in our area towards the end of the break.



Ryan did some basic cooking and helped with the holiday meals, as well as cleaning up. We also did some shopping after Christmas.



We see a difference in Ryan.  He is growing up and becoming more independent. His communication skills are improving. We’re so proud!



Toward the last week of the break, I noticed a change in Ryan and thought that he was missing his friends and ready to go back to school. He didn't admit it, but mother's intuition.



The time came for him to leave. I was sad - we had a fun time together.



He packed up his things Saturday evening so he could have a little extra time on Sunday. We left about 11:30 am and headed to Caribou again, this time just for us.



Then back to the McDonalds in Eau Claire. It was a quiet ride. We talked a little about things to do for Spring Break, and the fun we had on this break. When we arrived at our bus stop, we played some tic tac toe to make the time go faster. Of course Ryan won most of the games.



We had said our good byes and shared hugs earlier while waiting. The bus arrived and Ryan got his bags from the car. After making sure it was the correct bus, the driver put Ryan’s bags underneath the bus, Ryan showed him his ticket and ID, I gave him another quick hug and said I love you. Then... he boarded the bus. He was on his way back to Shepherds!



I got back to my car and sat for a moment, dealing with my emotions... then I called Miss Pollard and told her that Ryan was heading her way. We chatted for a little while, and this wonderful young lady made me feel better.



It was a quiet drive home with only Ryan's favorite music filling the car with sound. Then came the wait!



Dave and Shayden, Ryan's dad and sister, made dinner and we watched a movie that evening. Finally at 7:30pm I got a call from Ryan saying that he arrived, picked up his bags and was looking for Miss Pollard and another student that rode with them. I heard someone call Ryan's name, then Ryan told me, “I see them!”



Miss Pollard sent me a text to let me know they were on the way back to school.



Our first-time traveler made it back to school safe and sound. Proud Parents.


Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment