Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Day by Day - Part 2



Thank you to the MIE 2015 team for the continuation of their story in Jamaica. Read the May 11 blog to start at the beginning.

Thursday, April 2


Thursday we hit the ground running with VBS and 60 kids in a one room space and rain in the morning.  This presented a challenge to our outside game plan and required creative flexibility.  Flexibility was yet another theme to our trip.  Following VBS, the team did work projects.  One project involved digging rocks out of a hillside and hauling them up the hillside.  The Terroades have plans to build a respite cabin for people to come and rest.  These rocks will be used to build this cabin.

From our journals: 

I was a narrator today.  I loved it so much.  I also got to sing “J.O.Y. Joy” today with them.  I love that song.  I think the kids loved it too.  I feel amazing.  I have always loved children and I get along with them so well.  They taught me how to praise God.  The way they worshipped was amazing.  ~Willetta 

One thing I learned about myself today was I love kids!  ~Crystal 

A story today that I want to take home about today is that I was able to make new friends.  There was a little boy and girl that liked me.  The boy had lots of energy like [my nephew].  The little girl was so quiet and sweet.  They both love the attention they got. ~Nikki  
  
The best memory of Today was talking with Aunt Eileen about her childhood.  ~Jonathan
The best memory of today was meeting the kids! ~Andrew 

One thing I learned about myself today was all of my past times I can and have overcome and I can give these kids true love.  The best memory of today was being with Matthew the little Jamaican kid!  I love that kid so much! ~Micah 

Today, God provided for me by teaching me to be gentle hearted.  I know that God can use me in a powerful way in a country I don’t really know. ~Olya

Friday, April 3

Friday we did our second day of VBS with a little more experience and a bit less rain.  Our team did skits to present the life and ministry of Jesus.  Our crafts were significantly modified due to time, temperature, and various skill levels.  We had kids in VBS from under one year old to early 20’s.  We also learned that beach volley ball is a great activity to play over a fence and were thrilled we brought 10 beach balls due to the many cacti around the play area!  We continued doing afternoon work projects and made great progress.

From our journals: 

A story I want to take home about today is what we did with the kids playing volleyball with them!  I loved it truly.  It was so much fun even though the girls won.  I am so happy I feel like I am apart of them, like the people here have accepted me.  We somehow are family and we have a connection that no one has, especially the little kids, and an older girl she is about 17 years of age.  ~Willetta

Though my work today, God taught me that the children at the Terroades place are very precious gifts from God.  One thing I learned about myself today was that Jesus is my sold rock that I stand on.  ~Wade 

It was a great day the kids love seeing all of us.  They just put a smile on my face when I see them.  There was one little boy that makes me smile all the time I see him.  ~Crystal

A story I want to take home about today is that when we were sitting in a circle for devos tonight everyone was getting emotional.  Some of us more than others.  We were talking about what our first step is to move forward in Christ is.  ~Nikki 

Today I helped by playing Andrew the apostle.  I enjoyed acting for the kids.  One thing I learned about myself today was I can play with kids.  The best memory of today was acting out the story.  ~Andrew 

A story I want to take home about today is no matter how small the seed, God can use anyone to be a witness for him.  ~Jonathan

Today, God provided for me by giving me passion to serve and a heart for working hard!  One thing I learned about myself today was God does wonders beyond wonders to give it all to God!  A story I want to take home about today is to never give up faith on God to always, always rely on his beautiful wonders.  To help proclaim his works.  To be his servants and to always give out your worries aside.  When you work at VS with kids always be yourself have fun be of a good servant.  Love not to be loved but only show out love.  Give your worries aside and remember you’re in God’s hand! ~Micah 

The best memory of today was helping pass out snacks to the kids.  ~Olya 


  Read about Days 5 & 6 of the Mission Immersion trip tomorrow!


Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment