Monday, June 18, 2012

First Flight

For those of you who have visited Shepherds, you know the place has a tendency of sticking with you. Well, Shepherds has stuck with me for quite awhile. I was 15 when I first traveled to Shepherds, and ever since then, I’ve had a hard time getting the place off of my mind.

For two years, I’ve been hoping and praying to work at Shepherds as a marketing intern. God granted that wish this summer, and I am now fulfilling my dream. My name is Megan, and I feel incredibly blessed to be spending the next few weeks at Shepherds.

Although I’ve visited Shepherds Ministries a few times, this was my first encounter with Shepherds College. And I only had one week to take in the full experience. One week until the Class of 2012 graduated and everyone headed home for their summer break. One week to get to know the students, hear about their growth and accomplishments, and understand why they love being at Shepherds College. Just one week.

That week is over. The hallways of Shepherds College are quiet now. Classrooms are being cleaned, and teachers are training in preparation for the next school year. The students are all across the globe, enjoying their summer. But this scene was very different not so long ago.

At that time, students bustled through the halls excitedly, restless from the pressures of finals week and the anticipation of summer break. I could feel the energy in the building. It made me half-excited, half nervous, too.

My schedule was filled with classes to observe and activities to attend. As I headed to my first class, I admired the pictures gracing the hallway walls. Someone once said that “a picture’s worth a thousand words,” and in this case, that saying is quite true. The photos of the students and their Culinary Arts and Horticulture masterpieces spoke more to their inspiring accomplishments than words ever could.

I entered the classroom. The colors were warm and inviting, and several windows provided bright, natural light. It felt like a prime place to learn.

These are the second year students at Shepherds College, but now that finals are finished and the next school year is on their minds, they would be quick to inform me that they are third year students, the top dogs on campus. The teacher asked them to introduce themselves to me, and I watched as they stood, looked me in the eyes, and told me their name, their major, where they were from, and one thing they learned at Shepherds College this past year.

Meet Kelsie. One of the first questions she asked me was “Do you know Jesus as your Savior?” She had met me only moments before, but she was already concerned about my spiritual life. I assured her that I did, and I shared my personal testimony with her, but looking back, I wish I would have said “no” just so I could have heard her share the gospel in her own words.


Then, there’s Annie. As her teacher explained to the class what it meant to be a dependent, she confidently blurted out, “Oh, I want to live on my own.” She’s looking forward to the future and developing a dream of independence that may have never been realized before her time at Shepherds College. She’s eager to see what she can do on her own.



Finally, we have Sam. As Sam prepared to introduce himself to me, he calmly pushed his chair out from under the table, turned around, and looked me in the eyes. His dress shirt and tie were classy and professional. Sam cleared his throat and began his introduction. He carefully told me his name, major, and hometown, but then he faltered.

You see, Sam was so excited about all of the skills he has learned in Culinary Arts that it was difficult for him to choose just one thing to tell me. Should he share learning to cut vegetables or preparing some of his favorite dishes? The decision was too hard, so he decided to disclose them all. I certainly didn’t mind listening to his record of accomplishments.



These are the faces of Shepherds College. Their struggles, their triumphs, their stories – they are all a part of who the students are and who they will become. Shepherds College wants to take that journey with their students. They want to be there through the highs and the lows, the smiles and the tears.

And when it’s all said and done, Shepherds College can’t wait to see these faces headed down the pathway toward success. Their own individual successes.

I’ll be honest with you. When I first heard that the majority of my duties as an intern would be to write about Shepherds College, I was a bit doubtful. How could I write about something I only spent a week getting to know? How do I write stories about students who aren’t here right now? How could I feel passionate about something that I’m not familiar with?

But I was wrong. Because one week observing classes tells you everything you need to know about the program. One week with the students floods you with enough stories to fill a book. And one week at Shepherds College makes you a zealous advocate for the growth and accomplishments you see happening here.

I look forward to sharing my stories and experiences with you during the next month. I can’t wait for you to see what can happen in just one week.



Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.org.

2 comments:

  1. Great article! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this section....it paints a wonderful picture of what the college is all about!!

    ReplyDelete