Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Office: Spiritual Cleaning

Oh, boy. Cleaning. When I think of cleaning, I think of my mom. Mondays are the major cleaning days at our home, and you can be sure that nearly every surface in that house will be touched by a vacuum, rag, or dust mop. I am thankful for my mother’s chronic cleaning tendencies because I love living in a clean home, but those Monday mornings of cleaning are not necessarily “fun.”

That’s the thing with cleaning; we often find it unpleasant. Cleaning usually requires fixing something up or even getting rid of something. Sometimes that can be hard to do. But usually after all that painful cleaning is over with, we like the end result.

Sean washes windows at Shepherds College

We’ve been doing a lot of cleaning at Shepherds College recently. Read what Cathy Harvey has to say about both physical cleaning and spiritual cleaning at Shepherds College.


By Cathy Harvey

Last week, it was quiet in my corner of the campus, and I relished the healing effect it had after a busy and exciting semester ending—but I can’t say that today!

Summer cleaning is underway to prepare for a new roster of students.  Floor buffers are scrubbing the computer lab that’s situated kitty-corner from the office.  Domestics personnel are vacuuming and shampooing the carpets in the college office.  It is loud and noisy, up close and personal. I had to step outside for a break from the clatter and regroup my thoughts.

Brian clears brush at Mrs. Konopasek's house

Preparing for this cleaning meant clearing boxes, putting away files, and storing teaching materials that had slowly taken over the floor space.  So much “stuff” and clutter had built up over time, slowly eating away at the working space.  What a job!

The preparation and cleaning served a wholesome purpose, however.  It cleared out the cobwebs, purged the stray paperclips, unloaded the loose papers, and motivated me to tidy up.  It felt good.  In fact, once the shampooing was done and the furniture was replaced, it felt great

As annoying and time-consuming as it was to clear out the unnecessary, the result was fresh and clean, renewing my energy.  It reminded me of the spiritual cleaning I need regularly - taking time to clear my conscience, purge pesky attitudes, and unload the sin that so easily besets me.

Sometimes I need to step outside myself and regroup with God’s Word.  Let Him do some cleaning in me!  As annoying as it can be to face my own sin and cluttered heart, the result not only feels good, it feels great to get back on track with God!
 
“If we confess our sin, he is faithful and just to forgive us and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”  -I John 1:9

Nikki cleans a table in her apartment at Shepherds College



Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.org.

2 comments:

  1. And I like the fact that during the school year, the students are taught life skills about cleaning! It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Zoe is keeping up with his cleaning lessons at home? Sounds like he's doing a good job!

    ReplyDelete