Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Office: Opportunity for Prayer

Variety – it’s the spice of life.

We want to make this blog fun and exciting to read. It should be fresh and interesting. So what better way to do that than by incorporating some variety?

We’ve said before that Shepherds College is all about the stories. But these stories cannot be told by just one person. That would be boring and pointless. Think about it. One person couldn’t possibly witness all there is to see and do around Shepherds College campus. And even if he could, people see things differently, and the various ways we view things result in new and different stories. Variety!

With this in mind, we would like to introduce “The Office.” This weekly segment will feature a post from someone in the main college office on campus. Whoever writes the post for the week is sure to have the inside story of what’s going on at Shepherds College.

Today, you will hear from Cathy Harvey, the Administrative Assistant to the Dean. So, enjoy her story of how she’s preparing for the upcoming school year in a very special way.


Posted by Cathy Harvey

I love the stories that come through the Dean’s and the Director’s offices—amazing details of how God provided or opened doors for students and staff to be a part of this miraculous venture.

Cathy Harvey with Jocelyn and Melissa
But now, the students are at home for the summer, so what exactly are we doing?  Parents often ask me if we get a break for the summer.  Well, yes, a little.  We like everyone to take some time off—it’s a much needed rest after a year of challenges.  Most are surprised to hear the office is open all summer, but we need the time to prepare for the next semester and train new employees: teachers, advisors, after-school Residential Life staff, and weekend staff.

Today is particularly quiet, so as the Administrative Assistant, besides responding to parental emails, I am making all the new students’ files and praying for each one as I apply the labels with each of their names.  I am praying that we can do a good work for God and for them while they are here for three short years.  I am praying they will be open and teachable, and most of all, I pray for those who may not know God and how much He loves them and has a plan for their lives.

Every day, I think about what great things I can do for God in my little station.  It’s a big deal to God, and it’s a big deal to me. What can I do TODAY, right where I am in my little corner of Shepherds College, to honor God, use my gifts, lift a load for someone, and bring someone closer to Jesus?  Today, I am praying as I go for all the new students making the first big transition from home to school in Union Grove, Wisconsin.


Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.org.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, Cathy...you are one special lady to all of us parents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's pretty special to the college too. :)

    ReplyDelete