Friday, February 15, 2013

Friday Fun: Bragging Rights... and Wrongs



I need to preface this blog by saying that it involves basketball and I know next to nothing about basketball. I don’t have time to learn today – not even to impress you – so I will, probably, make some serious blunders. Just shake your head, forgive me and move on.

My basketball experience includes going  to a couple of Bucks games where I spent most of the time staring at the ceiling wondering when the stadium blimp would go by so I could get a free pizza coupon, attending my daughter’s 7th grade games where I was afraid to look up from the floor because, every time I did, she was doing something embarrassing like holding up her shorts, checking her nail polish or giggling with her friend mid-play, and cheering on the Shepherds Ministries Falcons team while my son was the coach.

Out of all of these experiences, the Special Olympic games were my favorites. I didn’t have to worry about knowing the rules, I just clapped and shouted for everyone no matter the team. It was fun.  The players would high five, fist pump and back slap all the time, even when they missed the basket.  Sometimes they would stop in the middle of a drive to the basket and wave to someone in the audience. I clapped for that too. How beautiful! Their important play suddenly became less important than greeting a friend.  I’m pretty sure I can hear some of our Special Olympic coaches groaning at this point, but I liked it.

So, imagine my surprise when today’s Time to Shine production turned out to be a basketball-related skit on humility. Why would our students need a lesson on humility? 

Does it have something to do with the fact that it’s basketball season in the Special Olympics? Could there possibly be some upstaging, show-stealing, hot-dogging behaviors we need to deal with? Please say it isn’t so!!



"Hey, students!"
"Prepare yourselves for the greatest..."
"Oh my goodness!! Here they are! Students welcome the Shepherds College basketball team!"
Here's our star, Mrs. Kolkman!!... and the rest of the team.
Wow, she can really rock a pair of shades!
Screams erupt among the fans. Is there anyone cooler than Mrs. Kolkman??
"Aaaahhhhhhh!!!! Mrs. Kolkman!! You're amazing! I want to be near your greatness!"
"Please, please autograph my hoodie..."
"...and my arm!"
"I will lower myself to take a picture with you, my adoring teammates..."
"... after all, I win all our games for us. You should have something to remember me by."
"One more autograph, if I must."
"Gasp!... Mrs. Kolkman..."
"I feel so honored to be on your team."
"That's understandable. I rule the courts..."
"Oh my poor pathetic team..."
"Quick, pass the ball to Mrs. Kolkman! She's open!"
"I have the ball! I am queen of these courts!"
"Queen of the courts? Why is she queen of the courts? Aren't we a team?"
"Mrs. Kolkman, pleeeeease throw me the ball! I can make the play!"
"No, no, I got it. I can't disappoint my fans."
Swish!!  "Ta-da!"
"Oh, the cheers, the cheers... stop... they're too much."
"Shucks... don't stop. I know I deserve them."
"Students. What went wrong here?"
"She's too proud. She's bragging. She didn't play as a team."
"Let's try this skit again, the correct way."
Mrs. Luchterhand goes to punt the ball...
She kicks it to Mrs. Konopasek...
...who scoops it off the floor and shoots for the basket! Score!
High fives for the team! What a group effort!
"Whew! What a game! We made a good team. We should do this more often!"
Group shot. Sharing the glory.
"Soooo... what went right this time?"
"They did a good job passing the ball. It wasn't just about one person. They played as a team. They all had a chance to play."
"We need to be humble because our gifts are not from ourselves. They are given to us from God to use for His glory."

Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.edu.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for all you do to keep us updated on the happenings at Shepherds College. I have especially been enjoying the Friday skits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kathleen! The Friday skits are quickly becoming my favorites too. They give me a chance to get away from my desk, laugh at some pretty serious goofiness with the students, and then sum up the lesson in pictures. It's been so much fun!

    I appreciate your feedback.

    ReplyDelete