Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Language of Love



It’s Valentine’s Day! One day the world sets apart from the rest to express love to others.

It’s fun to work in the front office on Valentine’s Day. Deliveries arrive at various times in the morning and afternoon - miniature rose bushes, fruit baskets, colorful bouquets of flowers, dancing pigs, and newly printed college brochures.

The last item was mine.

I don’t expect to ever receive a large bouquet of pretty flowers or a cute pig wiggling his corkscrew tail to “Cupig Shuffle” on this day, or any other. Possibly the fruit basket, but until businesses start delivering large bouquets of fresh cut basil, or send deliverymen that bear no gifts except the offer to write the spring appeal for me, I’m not interested. My husband has it easy.

Instead, he and I wander through the card department of our local grocery store, read lacey, blossom-bedecked and glitter-bedazzled valentines until we find the perfect ones for each other. I hand him a card, and he gives me one in return – hopefully one that doesn’t rhyme. Bleeeech.

Here honey,” we say, “This is how I feel about you.” 

We read them, gaze longingly into each other eyes… crack up, put the cards back and move on to buy more groceries – my love language. I hug his arm as he pushes the cart up the aisle – his love language.

So Valentine’s Day isn’t about the flowers, the chocolate, the jewelry, the dinners or the cards. It’s about communicating “I love you” in a way the recipient can understand and absorb into his or her heart.


That’s what I want to do today – communicate, in simple, heart-felt words, love and appreciation to the people that make up the family of Shepherds College.


“I love the staff’s eternal patience and their problem solving skills. They are always thinking out of the box! ~ Tina, parent of a second-year student

 “I love the staff. They help me when I need help. I love them!”  ~ Kati, first-year student

“I deeply appreciate parents who thank me for genuinely caring about their son or daughter. It goes beyond recognition for hard work or a pat on the back for a job well done. When a parent knows you love their child, you share something deeply meaningful in common. They no longer look at you just as a manager, recruiter, or instructor, but as a close friend as well.”  ~ Mr. Canright, Lead Recruiter and Transition Coordinator

“A big hug and prayer of blessings for all the great faculty and staff at Shepherds College. The love of Christ shines through you, and makes ALL the difference in the life of our son! Thanks and a holy kiss to all of you!”  ~ Lynn & Steve, parents of a third-year student

“I love that I get to partner with parents for the success of the student. Every parent is committed to their student – we have that in common. Great parents make my role better. Just thinking about our parents makes me smile! Their encouragement is so valuable for me.”  ~ Mrs. Konopasek, Instructor and Academic Advisor

“To the staff and faculty of Shepherds College – thank you for the wonderful job you do. We know you love what you do! Happy Valentine’s Day!”  ~ Jenny, parent of a first-year student

“I love my parents! They are genuinely interested in what is going on with their student at Shepherds College. They want to know the basketball schedule, how their student’s weekend went, and they do a great job communicating with me!”  ~ Miss Pollard, Instructor and Academic Advisor

“What I love most about the staff of Shepherds College is that they are so caring and very kind. I felt right at home at Shepherds College. The staff was there for me through everything I went through. Every high and low in my life, they were there. They also helped me grow and stretch in so many ways. I am the person I am today because of the Shepherds College staff!”  ~ Gloria, Class of 2011

“I love our parents. They jump in with both feet in working with the college to find the best way to help their son or daughter reach their highest potential, not only with daily living skills, but also in social settings and spiritually.  I love their open-minded spirit to work with our faculty as they find ways to help the students overcome personal challenges in their lives.”  ~ Mrs. Harvey, Administrative Assistant

“One of the many things I love about Shepherds College staff is the way they are always looking out for ways to help their students grow individually. My nephew’s counselor, Laura, seems to recognize what he needs before anyone else does! She recently gave him a position of authority on a student council to help him learn more about making decisions and leading others. This is definitely an area in which he struggles. I am so impressed with the way the staff helps every individual student reach his/her own level of Appropriate Independence in every area of his/her life. I am so grateful to have these people in my nephew’s life. He will be forever changed for the better from his experiences there.  Happy Valentine’s Day to your wonderful staff!!”  ~ Suzan, aunt to a first-year student

“I love the way our parents encourage and support their children to be more independent. I also appreciate their involvement with their kids! I also love to see how much the students love their parents, which tells me that the parents are doing a great job!”  ~ Miss Spence, Transporter

“I love that the Shepherds College staff are growing Christians and involved in their local churches. That they love the students and tirelessly want to see their lives improved.”  ~ Dr. Amstutz, President of Shepherds Ministries

“I have a prayer that Lynn, one of our parents, emailed to me during her son’s first year. It’s still posted to my bulletin board. It will be posted as long as I work with individuals with special needs. It says, ‘Father, be with Elyse this day. May she depend on you in every circumstance. Bless her with strength and wisdom in all she’ll face. One day is unlike every other, and in her case even more so. Help her go with Your flow. And let the students she interacts with see Christ in her…’  I have received similar prayers from Kelsie’s parents, Sierra’s mom, Sean’s parents, Zoe’s parents…”  ~ Mrs. Cyr, Instructor and Academic Advisor

That’s a lot of love! And what’s so cool? It didn’t all happen on Valentine’s Day. This represents love expressed in different ways, in tangible ways, all year round -just the way God wants it to be in your family, in my family, in the Shepherds College family, in His family.

“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.  By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13:34-35  
 

Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.edu.

2 comments:

  1. That is so funny--my spouse and I do the same thing at the card rack! Love the "You've Been Heart Attacked!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Mrs. Cyr found the Heart Attack idea on Pinterest and the students loved it. They all wrote love notes on the hearts, then some acted as "look out" to make sure the coast was clear, while the rest added tape to the hearts and stuck them to Mr. Terrill's and Miss Houk's doors. So fun!

    ReplyDelete