Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Teacher Tuesday: A Social Para


A big part of my job as Director of Marketing for Shepherds College is social networking. It's hard for me to believe now, but before starting work at Shepherds over five years ago, it was common to hear me say, “Social what? Oh, you mean that face thingy … you know, that face… or is it space? … um, spacebook thingy.”

Now I can’t imagine my job without my daily dose of tweeting, pinning, posting, blogging, fact-sharing, friend-building activity.

Because of social networking – Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Blogger and the like – I have been blessed in various and unexpected ways.

I can send out prayer requests and get immediate response from prayer warriors across the country.

I can celebrate important occasions, like our accreditation and FSA approval, and have any number of people join me nationwide in joyous whooping.

I am introduced to other organizations that share our passion for supporting people with intellectual disabilities, like Klundt Hosmer, Logan Magazine and Apostrophe Magazine.

I can read and be inspired by the work of other bloggers whose heart is vulnerable and open to whoever chooses to read their thoughts that day, like A Perfect Lily and Ellen Stumbo.

And I also meet amazing people who offer support, motivation and encouragement on a daily basis – someone like our new classroom para, Kim Anderson.

Mrs. Anderson became a regular on our Facebook page when her son Zoe started attending Shepherds College. She was eager for information on what Zoe was doing and “liked” and shared posts regularly, especially ones that included pictures of her son. 
Kim's son Zoe
Her enthusiasm for the college was contagious and some days it was just the boost I needed to keep plugging (and tweeting and posting and pinning) away.

All the warmth and interest Mrs. Anderson brought to our almost daily interactions online, she now brings to the students at Shepherds College. You can see by the big smile on her face that she thrives working with people with disabilities. They hold a special place in her heart.

I asked her about her experience teaching people with intellectual disabilities and was so impressed by her response, “My two children both have intellectual disabilities, so that is where I have the most experience.  I also volunteered as a “surrogate” parent for foster children who needed special education services. I was their advocate at IEP meetings and made sure they received the appropriate services they needed.

 I also served as a resource and mentor for parents who had children just being diagnosed with disabilities who were in need of special education services. A lot of these parents were in the denial stage of their children having special needs, so I was able to help them process that, as well as help them navigate the special education system.

Before coming to work for Shepherds College, I was in an Area Education Agency in Iowa. I supported staff who worked directly with children ages 0-3 who had intellectual disabilities. One of my responsibilities was to create tools for them to use with those children. That was a part of the job I really enjoyed!

Now I’ll be working one-on-one with a student using various ways to help him understand each lesson – hand motions, flash cards, white boards, computers -whatever is necessary to help him reach God’s full potential for him, and for him to reach the level of Appropriate Independence that will allow him to have a rich and fulfilling life.”

Wow! Not only am I impressed with Mrs. Anderson, but I’m amazed at the quality of people God consistently leads to work at Shepherds College. We are truly blessed.


Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.edu.

3 comments:

  1. Amen! Shepherd's is truly blessed. I am so glad that Mrs. Anderson is part of the staff! Blessings upon her!

    Deb Stengele

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put
    in penning this website. I am hoping to check out the same
    high-grade blog posts by you in the future as well.
    In truth, your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my own blog now ;)
    My page :: Here

    ReplyDelete
  3. You truely are blessed to have Kim Anderson. She contributed much to our community and is greatly missed.

    Marja Fletchall

    ReplyDelete