Thursday, September 6, 2012

Shepherds College Character Trait #2: Discernment

 Definition of Discernment – the act or process of exhibiting keen insight and good judgment


Shepherds College emphasizes six character traits to equip students for internships and life after college.  In a previous blog I covered Diligence. Today, we’ll look at how Shepherds College teaches the second character trait of Discernment.

The students are given choices from the time their alarm goes off in the morning to the time their head hits the pillow again in the evening – 

What should I eat?
“Should I get up and get to class on time, or should I hit the snooze button and get some more sleep?”

“Should I put more sugar on my sugar-coated cereal, or should I add fruit to a bowl of wheat flakes?”

“Should I brush my teeth, or should I just use mouth wash and hope nobody notices the difference?”

“Should I sit by the guy I have a crush on even though I’ll be distracted through the entire class, or should I sit across the other side of the room?”

“Should I do my homework or play a video game?”
What should I do?

“Should I read my Bible or my Dungeons and Dragons Monster Manual?”

“Should I confront my friend for talking about me behind my back, or should I tell everyone that he secretly likes Amanda?”

Choices, choices, choices.  Not all are a matter of right or wrong, good or evil, to sin or not to sin. Some are simply a question of what would be okay for the student versus what would be best for the student. We want every student to discern -to thoughtfully examine and then determine -what would be best in the situation they’re facing and then act accordingly.

The staff teach discernment by asking the students, “Do you think there’s a better way you could have handled that situation?” They talk things through and analyze the situation, sometimes weighing other options, sometimes searching Scripture for the “right” choice, the Godly choice.

In Personal Development, the students talk about relationships – a heavy topic at the college level as you can imagine.  Who should we build friendships with? What type of person should we date? How do we know who we should marry? All these questions should be answered by using discernment.

Sometimes games are played, like Jenga, where the students practice building each other up rather than tearing each other down. They need to carefully discern encouraging words over hurtful words.

Miss Houk helps the students learn discernment by guiding them toward God’s Word. When they invest their time and energy into memorizing Scripture, they get to know God better and build a stronger relationship with Him. Knowing His Word will help the students discern between right and wrong, between good and best:

“All the words of my mouth are just; none of them is crooked or perverse. To the discerning all of them are right; they are faultless to those who have knowledge.” Proverbs 8:8-9

“Who is wise? He will realize these things. Who is discerning? He will understand them. The ways of the LORD are right; the righteous walk in them, but the rebellious stumble in them.” Hosea 14:9

“My son, preserve sound judgment and discernment, do not let them out of your sight; they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck. Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble; when you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.” Proverbs 3:21-24

The character trait of discernment is important in all areas of life - including the work force - so we teach it at Shepherds College.

The students will have lots of choices to make as they venture out on their own. Discernment will help keep the “Appropriate” in their Independence.


Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment