Thursday, September 20, 2012

Their Time to Shine



My school years were just plain awful.

I was the girl who was so painfully shy that I could physically make myself disappear in a classroom full of people. I hunched, I shrunk, I blended, I whispered, I blanked all expression from my face, and I actually became… nothing.

For the most part, people didn’t look at me or see me, and on those rare occasions when they did, I could detect a hint of mild interest or curiosity in their eyes, like I was a sweater someone left draped over a desk chair and they wondered why I was forgotten. But then, the interest would quickly fade – it’s only an old sweater – and the look in their eyes said, “She’s inconsequential.”

Sometimes I can see this – for lack of a better word – talent for becoming nothing in the body language of some of the 1st year students when they arrive on campus in August. I know that they too have silently been told by society that they don’t matter in the grand scheme of things.

I want to take them by the shoulders, look right into their eyes and urgently say, “In the three years you’re at Shepherds College, you’ll learn that you do matter. You’ll learn that your life has purpose and meaning. You’ll find where you fit in this world and you will LOVE who God created you to be.”

In my little corner of Shepherds College, I get to witness this transition, and even take part in it in some small way. The best part of my job in Marketing is taking the words, the faces, the stories of these beautiful people and putting them out there for the rest of the world to see.

There’s something spiritual about the transformation that overcomes a student in that moment when they stop feeling irrelevant and realize that they are seen and heard and recognized as significant.

Sometimes all it takes is a camera held in front of them and a gentle question, "May I take your picture?”  I sense hesitancy, then hear, “Are you going to put me on Facebook?” At my nod, they stand straighter and smile as I snap the shutter release. They turn to their new friends and say with a confidence I’ve not yet heard from them, “I’m going to be on Facebook.” They look several inches taller as they walk away.

I’ve witnessed wonder blossom on closed-off faces as students recognize themselves on national magazine covers or featured in articles. One girl asked, “Are people actually going to read about me?” She couldn't believe her life story had value.


Recently Tess, Dallas and Christian were interviewed about their experience at the college on the local Racine & Me program, airing this Saturday. I had the opportunity to watch the DVD of the show after the taping. These students showed themselves to be self-assured young adults who represented the college with dignity and poise. They used their voices to be heard and to make an impact on their community! 

After the interview, Tess walked up to my desk and, in all sincerity, asked if I would like her autograph.  I cherish that moment! Tess knew that she was somebody important, and she had attributed worth to her being. I had her autograph the DVD and then she left my desk to autograph my co-worker’s notepaper.

I am so excited to see what all our students do once they are trained for life, empowered to serve and filled with new purpose!  

When these concepts become realities and begin to change the character of the student, they lose the “I am nothing” lies the world has fed them and fairly shine with the confidence of knowing that they are children of the Most High God, created by Him with the ability to influence the lives of people around them.
 

Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment