Sunday, October 14, 2012

Help Wanted



Day 14 of the 31 for 21 Challenge

The scariest day of the year is sneaking up on me.
 
No. It’s not Halloween.

It’s Board Meetings!!!

Usually, I start preparing my reports several weeks prior to the due date of the Board packet. As of today, I have done … absolutely nothing.

Well, not nothing.  I’ve posted, tweeted, pinned, interviewed, blogged and photographed, but have I written any reports?  Nope. Nada.

I’m feeling a little freaked out.

I have been formulating a plan however. It’s risky, but I might be able to pull it off - with your help.

Since so much of my time lately has gone toward developing and maintaining the blog, I have lots of good information I can report on in this area.

I just need to steer all questions from the committee toward the blog. I’m imagining it will go something like this:

Committee: “Has Facebook generated any traffic to the Shepherds College website?”
Me: “Facebook is our #1 traffic source to the blog.”

Committee: “How effective is Twitter as a referral source?”
Me: “Twitter is the #2 traffic source to the blog.”

Committee: “What updates have been necessary to maintain the college website?”
Me: “I added the cutest little widget that links directly to the blog.”

Committee: “Let’s talk about your budget…”
Me: “Why? The blog is free, Free, FREE!!!”

Committee: “What percentage of the total number of conference attendees visited our booth?”
Me: “Um, have you read the blog about my favorite pictures? It was a good one!”

Can you see how this strategy could work?

In order to develop the best blog Board report ever, I could use some information from you, the readers. I’m hoping every last one of you responds by posting in the comments section. Please.  You don’t even have to use your real name.

Here goes:

1.       How are you related to Shepherds College? i.e. Student, teacher, friend, parent, Executive Director, my mom…

2.       Why do you read Time To Fly? i.e. Information, entertainment, looking at the pictures, working your way through the 31 for 21 Challenge bloggers, checking to make sure I'm actually writing and not just playing Angry Birds…

3.       How often do you visit the blog? i.e. daily, weekly, when your mom tells you I posted a picture of you...

4.       What do you like about the blog? i.e. Teacher Tuesdays, stories about the students, pictures of food, a specific story…

5.       What type of story would you like to see more of?

Thank you! With your help, I hope to make this blog a great source of information about Shepherds College and a joy for you to visit.

And maybe this Board meeting won’t be so scary after all.
 

Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.edu.

7 comments:

  1. 1) SC Faculty
    2) Enjoy hearing updates and info about SC & sharing links on my personal FB page, etc.
    3) Daily (Google Reader)
    4) Pictures & the creatively and well-written posts
    5) I like the current variety (but maybe more about the students)

    Keep up the good work, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Blog Editor, I'm responding to your Board blog questions. I am a staff person at the college. I read the blog about 5 times a week. I like to read it at home too when I can catch up on what everyone in the college is doing while I'm focused on my part, which is not in the classroom most of the time. I love the pictures you find to enhance the stories. I like learning about the faculty members, their backgrounds and why they came here, how God led them. I think you are doing a great job of covering a variety of what happens here. I enjoy reading about what the students are learning and especially the creative ways the teachers have to help them learn. I enjoy reading about field trips and seeing pictures of them because that was my favorite part of going to school-field trips! Thanks for all you do on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that "Time to Fly" is one of the best marketing tools of Shepherds College. This blog shows the readers what is most important about the college - the students and their stories. If you are not actually present at Shepherds College, this blog is literally the next best thing. I visit the blog almost daily to get my "Shepherds College fix." As someone who has met many of the students and teachers, I can't wait to read what the blog will be about each day and to see new pictures of the students I know and love. The writing is superb, and the intentions are heartfelt. If potential clients really want to understand what Shepherds College is like, this is the place to direct them to. This blog is near and dear to my heart, and I truly believe that nothing but success will come from it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very very distal to Sheppard's College. Someone, whose blog I follow, mentioned the college (Daniella! credit where credit is due). I looked at it online and got very depressed because a) it was in the U.S. and b) there is no way we could afford it. But, loving good things, I drop by every now and then , and then realized that you were doing the blog hop! And came to the blog (which I hadn't found the 2 or so years ago I first dropped by) and have loved your writing and your profiles and your energy. So I read it now 1)because I enjoy reading what you write, 2) its part of the 31 for 21 challenge, s3) I will continue to read it because it is NOT disability-specific, and I love reading an a wider community of people doing great work and willing to struggle with supporting people blossoming into their own selves.
    3) Right now I visit daily (I think!)I like ALL the different stories and focii.
    Hmmmm hope you get more comments to flesh out your report!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a nephew who attends Sheppards College. I read the blog to keep in touch with what is going on in his world. I check in every day through the Facebook link. I love the warm, caring tone in which the blog is written. I enjoy seeing pix of my nephew and other students every week. I have shared this blog with friends who have relatives with learning disabilities to give them a better feel for Shepphards College and what it might offer their relatives when they are ready. Because my nephew is a first year student, I would like to see more stories about what is going on with the first year students, but I truly enjoy all of the stories. This blog gives a good picture of what Shepphards College offers their students, the community, and potential students.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to all of you for your feedback! I found some time to work on my Board reports and the information you gave me is so helpful.

    For those of you reading this blog for the first time, please continue to respond. I will always be able to use your feedback and advice as I move forward with the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1) Faculty member at the college
    2) I like the updates on areas of the college I'm not involved in.
    3) Usually once every week.
    4) I like the pictures and the information about the students.
    5) I would love it if there was a day like Teacher Tuesday that was dedicated to a student, so that we could learn more about students that we don't work with, or even more about a student than we can learn in a classroom setting.

    Thanks for the hard work on the blog!

    ReplyDelete