Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Teacher Tuesday: Blessed Reminders



Day 9 of the 31 for 21 Challenge

Some days I forget.

I forget that I have an amazing family. I forget that my neighbors could win regional awards for “THE BEST NEIGHBORS EVER.” I forget that my bills are paid and my refrigerator is full and I have a car that runs.

I forget that I have work when so many people have lost their jobs. I forget that God called me to a job that He equipped me to do. I forget how much I love my job.

On these forgetful days, I grumble.

I obviously forget that God is good all the time. Little irritations become big stumbling blocks in my day. The copy machine that suddenly started printing upside down has me sitting on the floor in tears. I can’t think of a word to express a thought and I question my ability to write. The camera jams and I realize that my education wasn’t broad enough to cover the problem so obviously I’m not the right person for this job. I gripe, I fret and I doubt.

I forget that grumbly days aren’t quite based on the total picture of reality. They’re like trying to see your reflection in a piece of tinfoil. You can see yourself in the shiny surface, but it’s all crumpled and distorted. It’s you… but not quite.  It’s the outline of your head, a blur of your features, but not the vivid blue of your eyes, the healthy shine of your hair, your personality coming through in a smile.  Too many crinkles mar the foil image for you to see the real you.

And so it is with these grumbly, forgetful days. I can’t see the beauty of my life through all the crinkled moments.

Then, because God is good all the time, something happens to change the temporary, misguided perceptions. 

My recent “something” was a visitor to Shepherds College. As I gave him a tour, I saw with fresh eyes all the amazing things that happen every day at Shepherds. I heard his admiration and respect for the dedication of the faculty and staff. Students shook his hand, clapped his back, greeted him with hugs and spoke with excitement about all that they had learned that day, and I watched the simple interest in his eyes turn to caring and commitment. I realized that I’m surrounded every day by incredible people at work who bless my life and make living it a rewarding adventure. The students are a big part of that.

I’m not the only one who feels this way. The students are the adventure and the reward and the reality of our teachers’ days in ways I can only begin to imagine. 

Our students with intellectual disabilities are challenging to be sure, but they also grow the teachers’ character, strengthen their resolve to bring about positive change in this world and bless their lives immensely. 

I asked them to remember and to share how they are blessed to be teachers at Shepherds College: 


It is a blessing to bless others with the knowledge and expertise that God has gifted us with.” Chef McCarthy



“Students occasionally tell me, ‘I’m so glad you’re here!’ I thank the Lord for bringing me to Shepherds to help that person.” Mrs. Oneby


“When I see a light click, when there is an understanding and an application as to what we just learned. When I see a student changing paths, finding the right direction, I know that God has His hand over it all and that His purpose for me is here.” Mrs. Kolkman 


“When I see students doing what we teach – interviewing, going to their internships, getting jobs, introducing themselves to someone new, making wise choices. When students graduate from the program and express appreciation for what they had learned, that is when I feel blessed.” Mrs. Konopasek


“I’ve felt blessed to be here ever since we brought Zoe here as a student. I had hoped that God would find a way for me to become more involved in the college. Then my husband took a job as a pastor in Milwaukee and I got a job at the college! We believe so much in what Shepherds College is doing!” Mrs. Anderson


“I’m so thankful for my students – my advising and my classroom students. I feel blessed working with students who are hard workers and try to do their best. Students don’t have to be perfect in their work, but it’s a blessing when they try, and care about doing their best.” Mrs. Luchterhand


“I feel blessed to be able to develop my own curriculum. I can focus on the students’ needs rather than teaching toward successful test results. I’m teaching for success in real life.” Miss Luchterhand


Blessings are earthly hints of the vast, unending love God has for us. They are sprinkled and strewn and cast with a liberal Hand throughout every aspect of our lives. On those days of griping and fretting and doubting, look with fresh eyes at the world around you … and remember, God has a plan and purpose for you. Even on the grumbly days - you are blessed.


“May God be gracious to us and bless us and make His face shine upon us, that Your ways may be known on earth, Your salvation among all nations.”  Psalm 67:1-2

 


Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment