Friday, October 5, 2012

Friday's Top Five: The Building Blogs of Life




Day 5 of the 31 for 21Challenge
  

I have a cool relationship with the students of Shepherds College. I’m not one of their teachers so the behaviors associated with the classroom don’t apply when they see me. I don’t pass their meds, I don’t assign chores, I’m not responsible for their discipline, and I don’t tell them what time they have to turn out the lights.

I’m the woman who writes about them and takes a lot of pictures. I walk down the hallways with a camera, a notebook and an open invitation to talk. When they see me, a few shy students hide, but mostly I get big smiles, high fives, hugs, invitations to hang out with them, and a lot of posing for the camera along with requests to “Put that one on Facebook!”

Kameelah

I’ve fallen in love with these guys. They are a part of my work, my life and my world. I consider them friends.

Lindsay
Sam
Sean

Because they are my friends, I learn all I can about them so I can represent them and their experiences at Shepherds College accurately and well.

A part of learning about them is learning about their disability so I do a lot of reading, especially blogs. With their first-hand knowledge, blog writers – good ones – are honest with their emotions and show a depth of understanding that only intimate familiarity with the subject can bring. 

Since it’s National Down Syndrome Awareness Month, I want to direct you to some of my favorite blogs on this disability. Grab a cup of coffee or a hot chocolate on this fall day, get comfy and start reading. Share the links and invite your friends to read these with you. Talk about them later. Were they hard to read? Too brutal in their honesty? Could you relate to their stories as a parent? Did they make you cry? Have you struggled over the same issues as the writers? And most importantly, did these blogs give you a greater understanding of people with Down syndrome and the people who love them? I hope so. It’s the point of this month – to build awareness of Down syndrome, to include people with Down syndrome in your community, and to accept people of all abilities into your world.

Caroline
Happy reading!

1.       Gillian Marchenko - http://www.gillianmarchenko.com/
Gillian writes about stumbling faith, Down syndrome, adoption, grace, the occasional spoonful of peanut butter & sometimes the whole jar.

2.       Ellen Stumbo: A Mom that Writes - http://www.ellenstumbo.com/the-blog/
Ellen is a mom writing about finding beauty in brokenness. This month she is sharing her story of finding out her daughter had Down syndrome and the first few weeks of her life.

3.       A Perfect Lily - http://babynumber10.blogspot.com/
Patti started this blog during the pregnancy of her tenth child, Lily Anne. Lily’s birth, diagnosis and life made a profound impact on their family and the lives around them. Patti hopes this blog makes a profound impact on yours.

4.       The Chronicles of Ellie Bellie Bear - http://ellietheurer.blogspot.com/p/about-blog.html

Anna originally started this blog as a means to keep everyone updated about Ellie's health status and to educate her friends and family about Down syndrome and sensory processing disorder [SPD].  In the past year, her blog has evolved to include a snapshot of their day-to-day lives, developmental progress reports, and entertaining stories about her 4-legged fur babies and husband's DIY endeavors.

5.       Just a Little Muchier Muchness - http://superdownsy.blogspot.com/

We shouldn't be Us and Them. We are all just parents and people trying to listen and live. Through this blog, Tiffany is hoping to lift the veil between us with peeks at her life with her daughter with Down syndrome.



Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment