Sunday, October 7, 2012

Camera Ready

 Day 7 of the 31 for 21Challenge


When Zoe arrived on campus in 2010, I thought, “Oh, oh. This young man is going to be a challenge for me.”

He didn’t look me in the eye, he was uncomfortable talking to me, and whenever I pulled out the camera, he had a way of turning and tucking his body so he almost disappeared into the person standing next to him.

Getting a good photo of him became my personal challenge. His mom and dad were following Shepherds College on Facebook, they missed their son, and they wanted to see pictures!

The first few weeks were difficult. I had a lot of photos of the side of his head and left shoulder, or of the palm of his hand, but nothing to show his parents that he was actually doing very well while he was away at school.


Then things started to change.

I first noticed it when we had a professional photographer on campus. Zoe chatted with the assistant. In group shots, Zoe still turned his body, but he smiled like he was having fun.  



After a while, when a camera came out, Zoe stopped trying to make himself invisible - he lingered.  He was becoming a noticeable presence on campus.

Zoe was growing in confidence and, with that growth, came signs of initiative.

Today, Zoe is a third-year Culinary Arts student. His mom, Kim Anderson, who now works for Shepherds College, shared this with me about the progress she’s noticed in her son.

“During Zoe’s time at Shepherds College, he’s developed an independent spirit. He knows who he is, what he wants and what he believes. He can now stand up for himself.

Three years ago, I couldn’t have left Zoe home alone if my husband and I needed to go away. Zoe now stays home on his own and is very sure of himself. He even taught himself how to ride the city buses in Milwaukee.

Zoe would like to live independently someday. He took the initiative to look for a Culinary Arts position online, hoping to find a job after he graduates. He also has visited the public library website to learn a foreign language - Spanish – again, all on his own.

My husband and I believe so much in what Shepherds College is doing. I feel blessed to be a part of it.”


Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.edu.

1 comment:

  1. I love all the blogs you are posting and all the stories about young people growing, pursuing their dreams, and sharing their gifts! I'm so glad you are part of 31 for 21!

    ReplyDelete