Monday, October 22, 2012

Mind Over Movie Matters

Day 22 of the 31 for 21 Challenge


We didn’t see movies when I was a kid. My parents rarely had any extra money for things like that. So when I was 12 and my friend Sally asked me if I wanted to see a movie with her, I jumped at the chance. I didn’t even ask what show we’d be seeing.

Sally’s mom gave her enough money for two tickets, sodas and popcorn and dropped us off. 

At the ticket booth, I heard Sally say, “Two tickets for Amityville Horror please.”

I remember thinking, “Amityville what??!”  

My eyes drifted to the movie poster at the side of the booth. The big “R” rating stared back at me.

Sally, seeing my hesitation, asked, “You like scary movies, don’t you?”  Back then, when my classmates were watching Omen, Halloween and Exorcist, the closest I had ever come to seeing a horror movie was watching the black and white, dubbed-over version of Gamera, the giant, Japanese flying turtle. 

These words came out of my mouth, “Of course! I LOVE scary movies!!”

Well, my love lasted until the opening music started. I sat through the rest of the movie with my shirt collar pulled over my mouth to muffle the screams. By the time Jodie, the demon pig, appeared in the little girl’s second story window, I was almost catatonic with fear.

That night, I slept at the foot of my parent’s bed. The next night, I slept at the foot of my parent’s bed. The following night, I tried to sleep at the foot of my parent’s bed, but my dad kicked me out.  When I was sure he was asleep, I crept into the bedroom and slept on the floor at the foot of the bed. When I couldn’t get away with this anymore, I either blackmailed or bribed my sister to sleep with me, whatever would work.

I learned an important lesson that day at the movies  -   just like I wore a helmet on the back of my dad’s motorcycle, just like I wore a winter jacket when the temperature dropped, just like I took Vitamin C during cold and flu season - just like I protected my body, I should have protected my mind.

Our minds, our thoughts, our imaginations can be used against us and, once you lose control of this area, it’s difficult to win back. 

This is the reason Shepherds College has a behavioral policy regarding entertainment. As quoted in the student handbook:

“The movies, TV shows, and video games we choose to watch and play have the potential to reflect and shape our character. Movies, TV shows, and video games that contain violence, obscene or crude language, and sexual immorality are not permitted. Movies and videos must be approved by the Residential Life staff overseeing the student’s residential facility.”


So we’re not just being prudes when we say to leave the rated “R” movies at the video store. We’re not just being mean when we tell the students, “No Mortal Kombat allowed on campus.”  


We’re protecting their minds. 

We’re claiming all that important mental territory that might otherwise be taken up by world annihilation, full-figured warrior princesses, and flying demon pigs, for lessons in daily living, job skills, God… and preparing for a lifetime of Appropriate Independence.

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.”  Philippians 4:8
 

Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.edu.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, I just preached on Phill 4:8 last night in church. Daughter we are proud of you, she's one of the pretty ones at the top of the page but she has the blue shirt on.
    Ricky

    ReplyDelete