Thursday, July 12, 2012

Final Boarding Call

Goodbyes are some of the worst things in this world.

Saying goodbye is sometimes accompanied by tears or uncertainty. It’s often painful, and it’s certainly not easy. But we have to say goodbye in order to say hello.

After the Shepherds College 2012 Commencement, all of the students were busy packing up and heading for home. They knew they would be missing their friends and teachers, but they were also excited to be off for vacation. It was a time for bittersweet goodbyes to school and eager hellos to summer.

I was sad to see them leave. The rooms seemed so quiet and empty without all of the students and their personal belongings. I knew that when the students left so would the laughter and the energy, the smiles and the hugs. I didn’t want that to happen.

When it was time to leave, Codi took a moment to come and tell me goodbye. She gave me a hug and one of her beautiful smiles. Codi and I had worked together on her final speech in Personal Development. She is an excellent public speaker, and I was honored to work with her. I miss her smile and her passion for life.

Nicole, Codi, and Josh

Christi also visited with me before she left. We had worked together on her speech, as well. Christi loves to talk about sports and music, so we chatted a little bit about her favorite things before saying goodbye. Christi asked me to come back to Shepherds College again next year. Who knows? I may just have to oblige.

Christi and Daniella

It was difficult to say goodbye to these students and especially these girls. I didn’t want to let them go. But goodbyes and letting go are necessary parts of life.

And now, as the students prepare to come back to school in just a few weeks, I am preparing to leave Shepherds College and return to my home. My internship is almost over, and it is time for me to say goodbye. This is bittersweet, too. I’m returning to all things dear and familiar to me, but I’m leaving behind a place that holds a piece of my heart.

I say goodbye to Shepherds for now, but as I leave, I say hello to something new. Now that I have experienced Shepherds College, I have a new, self-made responsibility.

I am now an advocate for Shepherds College, as are all individuals who have visited this school and been enchanted by its program and people. I have the desire to spread the word about the unbelievable things that are happening here and the success that Shepherds College students are experiencing. I want to make others excited about this program, too. Believe me, I don’t want anyone to miss out.

Readers, I thank you for coming along with me on this journey. I hope at times you found my posts to be a little interesting, stirring, motivating, inspiring, and perhaps even a bit entertaining. Most of all, I hope I was able to paint an accurate picture of all that Shepherds College is. I feel so privileged to have had this opportunity, and I will never forget it.

Keep visiting this blog for exciting updates and beautiful insights of Shepherds College. Trust me. Once the new school year starts, you will not want to miss out on all of the action. It will be a time of nervous, excited hellos to a place that is full of new possibilities.

I plan to leave you with one final post tomorrow, but after that, with a heavy heart and a wistful smile, I must say goodbye to Shepherds College. For you see, it is now my time to fly.



Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment