Thursday, July 5, 2012

I Wish

“The size of your dreams must always exceed your current capacity to achieve them. If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough.” – Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
                                            
Dreams. They allow us to step away from reality for a moment and imagine amazing possibilities. When we’re dreaming, we don’t have to worry about the bills that need to be paid or the pile of laundry that needs to be washed or the exams that need to be taken. We are just free to imagine.

Shepherds College is the fruit of dreams. It was born from desires for a unique program that catered to young adults with intellectual disabilities. It may have seemed like an impossible dream to some people, but with hard work and God’s provision, that fantasy became reality. Now that Shepherds College is in operation, it is a primary launching pad for other dreams.

Imagine the day you find out that you’re going to have a child. Such hopes and aspirations would originate. You would want certain things for your child, and you would imagine your child’s life heading in a specific direction.

Then, imagine the day when you are told that your child, this child you are eagerly expecting, has a disability. How heartbreaking that must be. How frightening. In that one moment, you feel as if everything you’ve hoped and planned for came crashing down. That perfect little world of wishes you created has been smashed into a million pieces. And you’re not sure if you will ever be able to dream again.

But there is a way to transform those dreams and turn them into something new.
 
Last week, I led a tour for a couple that decided spur of the moment to visit Shepherds College. This couple had just found out about Shepherds Ministries the day before, and they were overflowing with excitement about the college. You see, their granddaughter has Down syndrome.

When they learned of their granddaughter’s diagnosis, I’m sure some of their dreams for her were crushed. They had to rethink what this little girl’s life would be like. They had to let go of some of the plans they had for her.

But as this couple visited Shepherds College, I believe some of those old, forsaken dreams started to come back to life. The couple saw the greenhouse and culinary arts classrooms where students learn a craft and refine their skills. They saw the beautiful housing options that teach students how to live with others and handle responsibilities. They heard about the graduates who are now employed and living on their own.

I think that couple could imagine their granddaughter here, learning and growing and becoming more independent than they may have believed possible. I think they reinvented dreams for their granddaughter that day. Dreams of success and happiness.


Shepherds College can do that. They can take old, broken wishes that seem unattainable and change them a little to make them possible. That’s what they’re all about – seeing abilities instead of disabilities and understanding that all people are designed with a specific purpose in mind.


I included a quote at the beginning of this article. It’s a beautiful quote about reaching for dreams that seem beyond our capabilities. Some people get discouraged by ideas that seem unlikely or impractical, so they just stop thinking about them. This quote urges you to stretch for those crazy ridiculous dreams. In fact, it says your wishes should scare you, and if they don’t, you’re not dreaming the right kind of dreams.

When I imagined doing an internship at Shepherds, I was a little frightened. I’d never been away from home before. I knew very few people in the area. I had no idea what church I would go to or if I would make friends. Who would be my roommate? What kind of work would I be doing? Most importantly, would I regret my decision to come?

There was no way I could discover the answers to these questions unless I just went for it. I needed to reach for my dream, and if I made it, then I would find all those answers I was looking for.

What about you? Are you dreaming big right now? Do your dreams include Shepherds College? Maybe your son, daughter, student, relative, or friend has intellectual disabilities. Are they discouraged? Have their wishes been crushed, broken, discarded?

Shepherds College can reshape those dreams, repair them and make them brand-new. It might be a little scary at first to imagine trying something so different and new, but that’s the beauty of big dreams. They’re supposed to frighten and excite you all at the same time. If you get past that fear and trust God with your big dreams, incredible things can happen.

Shepherds College can help students dream again – big, beautiful, fantastic dreams. And these dreams can come true.




Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment