Friday, July 27, 2012

Friday's Top Five: Simple Prayers


I decided to follow God at the age of 25. At the time, I was attending a church in Illinois with my husband. The congregation had been praying for my salvation for years.  I’m not sure if they were so excited that they finally “reeled in a big one,” or if they were so desperate for teachers, but my hair had barely dried from my baptism before they committed me to life service in the Sunday School department.

I remember standing in front of my new class of 4- and 5-year-olds wondering what on earth I was supposed to do with them. Most of these children were already quoting John 3:16 while I was left at the front of the class, wide-eyed and trembling, screaming in my head, “John?! Which John?! There’s four John’s in this book! What are they talking about?!!!”  I didn’t think I was going to last much longer than that one class, but God had other plans for me.  

I grew up spiritually with those little people at a pace someone who had never touched a Bible could handle.  I learned simple Bible verses and simple ways to apply them to my life.  I also learned that simple prayers uttered in childlike faith hold unbelievable power.  I never really learned to pray any other way. 

Over time, I learned all the big Christian words, I studied Apologetics, I read books by authors who knew the Bible inside and out, and I heard incredible prayers by my brothers- and sisters-in-Christ that sounded like rich, vibrant poetry.  But my prayers never changed. When I tried to make them sound “all grown up,” they never felt right – it was just not how He raised me.

In the last 21 years of talking with God, I’ve experienced His “no, this is not My best for you,” His glorious “yes, your will and Mine are one,” and the frustrating, “Wait, the time is not right and one day you will understand.”  

It didn’t matter that my prayers were simple – He heard and answered each one.

Will you join me in prayer for the college today? Will you add your simple prayers, your profound prayers, and your heartfelt prayers to mine to lift up the students, the staff and the program for God’s blessing before the new school year?

Please pray for the new students as they’re packing to leave for college. Living away from their families is such a big adjustment for them. Many of the students never thought attending a college was an option, so they may not feel emotionally prepared to leave home and live with strangers for a good part of the year. Pray that God calms their fears, readies their minds for new schedules, new ways of doing things and new things to learn, and stirs up excitement in their hearts as He reveals His plan for their futures.
Pray for the returning students as they’re about to start either their major area of study or their internships. They already know the stress of college, the joy of making new friends, and the personal satisfaction of gaining in wisdom and knowledge. Pray that God helps them recall all they learned in the last year or two so they start school with confidence in their many abilities. Also, pray that these students bring real benefit and blessing to their internship sites.
Pray for the parents of our students. Letting go is hard. Pray that God brings them comfort in their sadness at saying good-bye, peace in their decisions to trust the staff at Shepherds College with the well-being of their children, and security in knowing that we place our faith in God and He is in control of this special school.
Pray for the faculty and staff of Shepherds College.  We know the value of the lives being placed in our care. Ask God for stamina to get through the tough, homesick days at the beginning of the year and all the important days of learning and growth that follow. Ask Him for sensitivity and discernment to better meet the individual needs of the students as they’re adjusting to this new phase in their lives. Ask Him for patience and wisdom as we face each day head on with all the challenges, adjustments, insecurities, excitement, enthusiasm, melancholy, happiness, busyness … everything that He chooses to pour into it.
Finally, please pray for Shepherds College as a whole. Our school is unique and we’re breaking new ground with every step forward. Pray that God blesses our efforts to bring a much needed service to people with intellectual disabilities. Pray that our campus provides a comfortable, welcoming and safe place for students to learn and grow towards Appropriate Independence.  And most importantly, pray, that in everything we do, we bring glory to God.

“Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.”  John 14:13-14 

Thank you, dear friends.


Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment