Monday, July 16, 2012

Guiding Your Transition

 
I admit… I’ve been a little moody lately.  There is so much going on and it’s hard to take it all in some days.

My oldest son got a great new job and moved out of the house. I feel proud and sad, nervous and excited.  Did I adequately prepare him for the “real world?” 

My younger son is getting ready to head back to college in a few weeks. My heart aches a bit and I feel lonely thinking about another empty bedroom.  Yet, I’m also eager for him to experience everything this  school year will bring – new classes, important testing for his major, internships and international travel.

Megan, the intern who started this blog for me, left on Friday to return home.  Anxiety is starting to set in. Can I maintain the wonderful work she began with Time To Fly?

Ugh.  Too many emotions.

I bet many of you are going through something similar.  If you’re a Shepherds College graduate, you may be job or apartment hunting. You’ve left people you love back at school and now you’re trying to figure out how the philosophy of Appropriate Independence will look in your post-college life.
Gloria working at Country Rose after graduation

If you’re a Shepherds College parent, you’re preparing to bring your student to Shepherd College in three weeks. Did you ever imagine, once you found out your child had intellectual disabilities, that you would be dropping them off at college someday?  That you would be shopping for bedding and waste baskets and desk lamps to furnish their dorm rooms? That you would have to hug them, let them go, turn your back and walk to the car while your chest is burning from swallowing way too many tears?  This is the child you imagined caring for the rest of your life, and now you’re supposed to drive off and leave them in the care of someone else??  

College staff help Anne and Kyle move in during orientation
If you’re a Shepherd College student, you may be counting off the days until orientation. You might be excited about making new friends or apprehensive about leaving your parents.  Shopping for new stuff is fun, but packing is a little sad and scary.  Worries and “what ifs” are probably crowding up your brain right now – will the other students like me? What if the classes are really hard? What if I don’t get along with my roommate? Will I like the food? Who’s going to help me with my meds?
Is this what it's like to have a new roommate?

Transitions can be tough, can’t they?

They also can be an exhilarating time of growth and self-discovery! You find out that you’re much stronger than you ever knew. You’re brave, you love adventure, you’re stronger in your faith.  Maybe you’ll realize that change isn’t so scary after all. 

The staff at Shepherds College is here to see you through each step of your transition. We provide orientation and classes to help both students and parents prepare for the college days ahead.  We excel in our communication with parents during the school year. The teachers and residential life staff are always ready to help in all circumstances during your three years here.  Our entire program is designed to make the transition to independence possible. We even train Transition Coaches to support students after graduation!
Brian with his Transition Coach

And the best news of all to get you through these exciting, challenging, scary, busy, nerve-wracking, and did I say exciting days ahead… God is walking through all of it with you. He is the One guiding your transition.

“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9

Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.edu.

2 comments: