Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Office: Blessings In Disguise

We all have those moments when, in retrospect, we’re less than happy with our words or actions. Maybe our conversation wasn’t filled with grace or kindness. Maybe our actions weren’t motivated by love or patience. Or maybe our interactions with others didn’t reflect the person we normally are or strive to be every day. 

Although I’m never happy about my personal embarrassment in these situations, one thing I love is that God always uses these moments to teach me, to grow me and to mold me into a person that resembles Him a tiny bit more each day. I just pray that my heart is always ready to accept each lesson.

Cathy, our dear Administrative Assistant, asked to share one of these lessons in her own life:

During this past spring semester, the college director asked us to choose one word that we wanted to work on for our semester goal.  After much thought and for various reasons, I chose “humility.”  There were numerous opportunities within the semester for this word to challenge and stretch me.  Even today, I was caught off-guard when an e-mail conversation with a co-worker turned into one such opportunity for me to learn (yet another) lesson in humility. 

My e-mail request to make a room reservation in the Wood Center morphed into a dialogue about the noise level in the building during the work day.  Noise, in this bustling college environment, comes with the territory, I know, but for whatever reason I was carrying on about it, complaining about the talking in the hallways, the cleaning staff vacuuming the carpet during work hours, the lockers banging, days when my office seems like Grand Central Station. I ended the e-mail with, “I appreciate the break times when I can actually think with some quiet. (sigh)”

My co-worker’s compassionate and Godly reply humbled me and brought tears to my eyes.  I had to stop what I was doing and go outside to process the conviction born in my heart from her description of noise that interrupts the days at Shepherds.  She wrote,

“The noise and interruptions can be a blessing – when Dennis is going down the hall singing praise to Jesus, when students just stop by to talk or to show me their Special Olympics ribbons or their birthday presents...

...when Peter walks into my office to adjust my furniture so it is positioned just right, when Ron stops by to tell me I look very pretty today, when a student from Horticulture brings me a special arrangement she made for my office...

...when Culinary Arts students bring tasty samples...

 ...when college students come to sing Christmas carols...

 ...when Doug comes to share the burdens of his heart, when Sean stops by just to see how I am doing, when JoEllen stops in to share whatever is happening in her life that day. 

As my pastor has often said, ‘it is during the interruptions when ministry happens.’” 

I think I need another semester on the goal word of “humility.”


Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment