Thursday, November 1, 2012

A Blog from Bethany

I received an email a few weeks ago from Andrew Kolkman, the Residential Life Manager. A service project he planned for the students for Make a Difference Day fell through and he was looking for projects around campus that would help out the staff. Did I have anything in my office for the students to do?


Since October was National Down Syndrome Awareness Month and Shepherds College was participating in the 31 for 21 Blog Challenge, I emailed back, “I need blogs! Can the students sit down and write as an act of service?  :)

I expected a polite “:)” in return.

What I got back was an enthusiastic, “That’s a fantastic idea!” followed by a list of possible topics the students could write about and a suggested publishing schedule. I stood up and hugged my monitor. What a glorious moment in the life of a blogger - new co-bloggers! 

 



Here is the first of several blogs written by our students. This one is written by Bethany, a second-year student in our Culinary Arts program.





 The Girl who was Terrified of College

When I was in elementary school, I went to a private school. It was for people with high I.Q.s.

Why did I go there?

Because my parents thought that I was like my two brothers and everybody else in my life. When I was in second grade, I got tested and my parents found out that my I.Q. was lower than what they thought. I was taken out of that school and was moved to homeschool.

I did very well in homeschool. There were some public school teachers who checked up on me. They were very impressed. I learned to read at a 6th grade level.

My mother and I discovered Heritage Homeschool Workshops. I did it with normal people. And I did very well there. I did American Literature and Science. I graduated from there.

I went to my cousin’s college graduation. I thought, “I can’t attend college, it’s just too hard.” I was terrified and my stomach was doing flip flops.

My Mom and Dad and I saw an article in a magazine about Shepherds College and we were rejoicing because that was an answer to prayer. I went to Shepherds College and found out I wasn’t alone, there were others with disabilities. I was pleasantly surprised to see I was one of the youngest, because I am used to being the oldest all the time.

I am doing well here. 


And so can you.
 


Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.edu.

3 comments:

  1. This is precious. Tender and heartfelt. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bethany:

    I'm glad your family had high expectations for you and the people in your family.

    The American Literature workshop is impressive.

    Glad Shepherds' was an answer to a heartfelt and true prayer.

    "Used to being the oldest"? So many of us stretch the bell-curve, right in the sweet spot of a group.

    Good luck for your future, Bethany.

    ReplyDelete