Monday, November 5, 2012

A Blog from Megan



Blog 2 in the Make A Difference blog series from the students of Shepherds College

What is Autism Spectrum Disorder?

Doctors say that it is a complex developmental disability that causes social problems, repetitive behaviors, and can range from high functioning to severe. 

I landed myself in the high functioning autism side of the spectrum from what the doctors have told me two years ago when I was first checked for the disability. I don’t think of it as a disability, I think of it as a different way of thinking.

When someone asks me how I think, I tell them I think in vivid movies. Thoughts and memories of mine are produced in movement and added with voices and sound, and they play in my mind. Places of where I’ve been or want to go are also put into movies, trying to piece together what might happen, or what I’d do there.

My parents always knew there was something off with me. All the symptoms of Asperger’s were there, and I believed my mindset was “everyone else is just like me.” I had to teach myself how to tie my shoes, learn how to read an analog clock, which I didn’t figure out how to read until the third grade. I later found a creative outlet that could help me learn about myself, as well as breaking out of my shell.

I started seeing shows by Cirque Du Soleil back in 2003, and since I am a visual learner, the sights, sounds, stories and acrobats have always made me smile, and each show has a special place in my heart for different reasons. I had the honor of talking to three of the performers at one of the shows down in Vegas, the show called KA. 

One of the performers saw a plush of his character that I had made and took a liking to it. I sent it to him for his birthday, and it was later when I saw that he decided to go into full costume to take a picture with it. It was a wonderful experience, seeing someone thinking to take a little bit out of their time for me.

As you can see, I don’t think of myself as a child who is disabled. I think of myself as a person who wants to see others happy. 


Though I may be wired differently, I am me.
 


Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.edu.

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous, Megan! Congratulations on being exactly who you are.

    ReplyDelete