Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Teacher Tuesday: Giving Thanks for our Students



The students of Shepherds College are all very diverse people with different likes, dislikes, histories, personalities, abilities, beliefs, values and life experiences. However, outside of being students with intellectual disabilities, they all share at least three things in common: they each play an important role in the character development of the faculty and staff who work with them, they each will impact our lives in meaningful ways, and we’re thankful for every one of them!

“I am thankful for the students at Shepherds College because I enjoy seeing them learn and grow. I work with the third year college students and drive them to their internships. I have seen them eager to learn at their job sites, and learning the importance of hard work. We also get great opportunities to learn life lessons. They are always helping me to be patient and not sweat the small stuff. I have learned to take things one day at a time, and to celebrate the small successes I have with my students.”  ~ Miss Spence


“I am thankful that the students make me laugh. It is easy to get caught up in work, but then they will often just say something that is hysterical, and it reminds me of the joy I have working here.”  ~ Mrs. Luchterhand


“I am thankful for the students in so many ways. In the last two years that I have worked here, I have been blessed to have a relationship with each of the ladies who have spent time in Home A. As I think back to each one of them and their gifts that God has given them, they are each so different and yet all so very special to me. I am being used by God to help them develop the most independent lifestyle they each are capable of - from learning how to complete daily living skills to working out conflict and growing in better relationships with one another. Each day is another opportunity to see how God is working out His plan for them. I am blessed to be a part of it in some small way!”  ~ Mrs. Walley


“I’m thankful for our students in that they have been given this extraordinary opportunity. Compared to how people with disabilities have been treated in the past, this school is a miracle! Shepherds College represents a tangible account of the influence of the love of God in people’s lives. The housing facilities are lovely, medical care is available around the clock, and the faculty and staff work here because they love helping students with intellectual disabilities achieve their highest potential.

The students are being used by God in my life by being yet another area for me that highlights one of the quotes I try to live by – ‘Be sweet and nice and kind to everyone; everyone is having a hard time.’ Everyone struggles with something, whether it is an outward disability or an inward one.

Working with the students has given me greater insight to the needs of people with disabilities, greater compassion for them and their parents, and more patience for people in general.”  ~ Mrs. Harvey


“I am thankful for the students because each one is unique and each one has contributed to my personal growth in their own way. They have challenged me and stretched me in many ways. I have learned to be patient (even though I thought I was before!) They have taught me to be a good listener and more compassionate. I have laughed with them and cried with them. They have brought much joy to my life, and my life has been enriched because God has given me the opportunity to be a part of this wonderful ministry.”  ~ Mrs. Anderson


“The students at Shepherds College have taught me that it’s okay to burst out in song in the middle of a lesson, to not be afraid to get creative, and that God is alive and represented by each and every one of them! There is much joy here at Shepherds, and the students are definitely spreading it around!”  ~ Mrs. Kolkman


"Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands. Serve the LORD with gladness: come before His presence with singing. Know ye that the LORD He is God: it is He that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are His people, and the sheep of his pasture. Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name. For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all.”  Psalm 100

Happy Thanksgiving!
 



Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment