Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Office: Leading with Joy



“Today is a good day. God loves me, and He has lots of good things planned for me throughout this day. I should be mindful of them. God is in control of all things and nothing that happens will be a surprise to Him. I can find hope and peace in this truth.”

I’m practicing thinking good thoughts.

Dr. Bill Amstutz, the president of Shepherds, is indirectly challenging me. He’s been talking about a book he’s reading called 40 Days to a Joy-Filled Life: Living the 4:8 Principle written by Tommy Newberry. It’s based on Philippians 4:8 –

“Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy – meditate on these things.”

Dr. Amstutz is reading this book because being the leader of an organization, any organization, is tough and tiring. It’s so easy to forget your blessings and get caught up in the worries and trials that every day brings. Dwelling on the worries can quickly turn into a pattern of negative thinking which, just as quickly, can impact your character.

40 Days to a Joy-Filled Life is a book of daily challenges – each one carefully thought out to discipline the reader’s mind toward a manner of thinking that is pleasing to God.

Dr. Amstutz shared a couple of his favorite chapters with me:

Chapter One is titled “Think This, Not That.” As 2 Corinthians 10:5 says, “…bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.”  We have a choice in what we allow ourselves to think about.  We can think positive thoughts, or we can think negative thoughts in any situation. 

Can you imagine how your day would change if, rather than grumbling about the stupid diet your doctor put you on, you thanked God for allowing you to live in a country that had fresh, healthy vegetables available year round? Or, rather than dreading all the cleaning you needed to do before company dropped in, you rejoiced in the opportunity to show hospitality to your loved ones? 

Choose thoughts that are noble and lovely and see how your outlook changes.

I really liked hearing about Chapter Three: “Hundreds of Problems; Millions of Blessings.”  

It’s one o’clock in the afternoon as I’m writing this. Here’s a list of just some of my blessings today: I woke up, all my limbs and organs worked, I was warm in my bed, I was warm when I got out of bed, I had lights to turn on and carpet to walk on, I had indoor plumbing, I had a lovely, healthy daughter to pry out of bed, I had a variety of food to pick from for lunch, I had weather-appropriate clothes to wear, I had a husband who called out “I love you,” my van actually started on the first try, my daughter wasn’t late for her bus, the bus driver waved to me and made me happy, I had a job, my co-workers are also my friends…  I could go on and on with all the ways I’m blessed!

But do you know what I’m thinking today?  

“I have a stomach ache.” 

 That’s it. I only thought about my multitude of blessings because I was writing about them, but I’m dwelling on the one stomach ache.  Sad.

“Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.”

Dr. Amstutz is using what he’s learning from this book to impact his leadership. “If we desire to have a culture of kindness and gentleness at Shepherds College, we have to lead with joy,” he said. “Joy comes only from God, and, with joy, is how I intend to lead Shepherds into the future.” 

As Dr. Amstutz interacts with students throughout the day, he plans to share these truths and many more from God’s Word. These truths can help the students to think positively – not always easy to do with a disability. They can remind them that God is over their circumstances. And they can train the students to dwell in a place of joy and thanksgiving, rather than a place of worry and fear.

“This book reminded me of God’s magnificent promises and His love for us as individuals,” said Dr. Amstutz. “Look at what Christ did for me! How can I be anything less than kind and gentle? How can I be filled with anything but peace, confidence and joy?”


Please pray for Dr. Amstutz and the leadership of Shepherds College. Pray that they find daily strength in the joy of the Lord, and that they, in turn, lead the students in cultivating their own joy-filled lives.
 


Shepherds College - Guiding Your Transition to Appropriate Independence. Please visit us at www.shepherdscollege.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment